To Honor My Dad









 I have a belief that we should honor those that we love while they are still with us. Many times, what we have in our hearts for our loved ones is poured out at their funeral. Today I want to honor my dad. Yesterday was his birthday. I made sure to call him and hear his plans for his birthday. My dad has the best sense of humor. He took today off from work and had a food adventure planned out for the day. Steve Brollier is not my dad by birth. When I was a teenager, he, his wife and kids became my second family. It wasn't until I was an adult that they legally adopted me.  When I got married my birth dad who was not safe, was not in my life. I wanted Steve to walk me down the aisle. I would have been happy if he did it as the dad of my heart, but he legally adopted me instead. The man who chose to love me as his own flesh and blood made the choice to become my legal dad. In a world where dads on a daily basis choose to not even be fathers to their own children, chose me to love as his own. He is wise, hilarious, a good cook, makes the best salsa in the world, loves Jesus, loves his family and has deep faith in God. You can love Jesus, but not have a deep faith in God. I think that's what I admire the most about him. His steadfast faith that God's way is the best way. That God will make a way, no matter how bad a situation may seem to be. I remember when I was in my 20's and frustrated that I still had never been on a date. I was doing what daughters do and pouring my heart out to my dad. He told me to seek God first. If I would be about my Heavenly Father's business and keep my eyes on Jesus, that God would give me the desires of my heart. I did this. I still didn't date for a long time. Then I did, got my heart broken and my dad in his patience helped me through it. He encouraged me to graduate college. He was thrilled when I said yes to the call of Missions. He was there when I returned. He was there when I fell in love and got married. He was the excited Poppa when I had my son. He was there when my whole world fell apart and my divorce began. We don't talk every day, but I know my dad is praying for me. When I need a word of wisdom, he will text me exactly what I need to hear. I have watched him love mom through sickness and health. Is my dad perfect, nope. All I can say about that is drive in the car with him during LA traffic. Has he made mistakes, yes. Is he the perfect dad to myself, Kala, Tara and Stevie, again I would say no. Does he love us? Yes. Does he pray for us? Yes. Does he try to live right? Yes. Is he a good dad? Yes. I thank God that when this teenager girl cried out for an earthly dad, He answered me by bringing the Brollier Family to my church. I used to hate Father's Day. It hurt hearing the accolades of how great the dads were. Then, God gave me a dad and it was on Father's Day I told him that if I ever got married, I wanted him to walk me down the aisle. We don't always know where life is going to take us. All I know is that I have been blessed. Steve is a good friend to many. He is faithful to the House of the Lord. He is an amazing Poppa to RJ and Tally. He is my dad and I am thankful for him. It's hard not living in the same state, but hopefully, I will get to visit with him soon. I love you dad, Happy Birthday. God is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound OF Freedom-My Story

One Month

When Grief Rolls In