In Loving Memory of Pamela Butler

 She walked into the sanctuary with a smile that caused her eyes to twinkle. I was in my teens and the church had just voted her husband in as the new pastor. In a flash a little six year old boy ran from his hiding place behind her skirt and made a mad dash down the church aisle to the front where his dad was standing. She greeted me with a warm embrace, not having met me yet. In that instant, I knew that I was going to love my First Lady.  Over the years, she went from being my pastor's wife, to my friend. We would sit together in church and she would tell me how she longed for the church to be like Bethel. I remember thinking in my mind, what is Bethel. Little did I know she was speaking of a church that would one day become my church home. Sis. Butler was not afraid to tell you like it was. She would tell you exactly what she was thinking and why. One day I told her I felt that I was going to marry a minster. She looked me square in the eyes and gave me an education on what that life meant. She minced no words. She sugar coated nothing. Then took my hands into her delicate hands and winked as she said, "Why marry a minister when you can be the preacher yourself".  Many years later, I did exactly that. I became licensed under my home church. Which then led to my going overseas to do missionary work. She saw in me a potential that I had not yet seen in myself.  Her spunk was a joy to be around. Over the years her body began to take the ware and tare of the painful battle she bore with rheumatoid arthritis.  She faced many battles due to this condition. God carried her.  This past April when I was in California to visit, she was at the church. She greeted me with great joy and there was that twinkle in her eyes. She loved people. Loved God. Loved her Dan. Loved her son Dane.  Loved her daughter in love, May. Loved her grandbabies. She loved this Apostolic truth. She loved to sing to her Jesus. She walked through the fire of life with grace. I honor my First Lady. I honor my friend. We mourn her passing and are thankful she no longer is in pain. She walks pain free, arms outstretched towards her Heavenly Father. Her voice raises in a beautiful melody of praise. Enter into the joy of the Lord, Pamela Butler, you have finished the race. God is good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound OF Freedom-My Story

One Month

When Grief Rolls In