The Greatest Gift Keeps On Giving

 It has been a while since I have blogged a sermon. Part of the reason was I ran out of journals to take notes in and there were other reasons as well that I would rather not share. This past week a good friend handed me a journal and said they hoped I would start taking notes again of the sermons. Since, I have a great deal of respect for this friend, I decided to start blogging the Sunday sermons once again.  The sermon today was preached by Bro. Will Cook. I enjoy hearing him preach and teach. Before I share his sermon, I want to say how wonderful it has been to have Pastor Davis back in church with us. I wish Sis. Vickie Davis was in the service with us as well. We don't always understand why things happen the way they do. I miss her every day. It is nice to see our pastor on the platform again. Just hearing him speak before he gave the prayer requests and opened up the alters for those who wanted to be prayed for, was very reassuring to my heart. Bethel loves Pastor Davis, and we are all praying for him as he navigates this new season in his life. Bro. Cook preached what could be considered a Christmas Sermon. That being said, as a Christain, we celebrate Jesus every day, so it was perfectly fine that he preached this sermon in January. I am going to share with you the portions that stood out to me the most. You can view/listen to the service and sermon here. Bro. Cook preached on, " The Greatest Gift Keeps On Giving". His main text was taken from Isaiah 9:6. Isaiah 7:14 and John 3:16. God gave us the greatest gift and that is himself. In December when you are out shopping you will often hear music that is about Jesus. You will hear that He is the gift. The truth is He is the greatest gift, and he is a gift that keeps on giving. In John 3:16 we read that he so loved the world that he gave.  This is the key. He so loved. He did not just love us; he so loved us. We tend to use the word love lightly. We love our things. When it comes to God, his love is unconditional. His love is pure. People try to do things to make God love him. This is not necessary. God does not love us because of who we are. He loves us because of who he is. He loves you and I. We all have a story.  We all have situations in our lives that bring pain. Not everyone can understand what we are feeling at the time. God however is touched by the feelings of our problems.  His love for us is so great that he can feel what we feel. He understands and he cares. The thing about a gift is that it's not yours until you receive it and open it.  We read in John 3:16 that he gave. In Acts 2, we read of how we can receive him. Jesus is God manifested in the flesh. God came down in the flesh of man to being the greatest gift. A gift that would keep on giving. He died on the cross and rose again so he could give you the gift of eternal life. The gift of His spirit living within you. It's up to you and I to receive this gift. To open our hearts and lives to his spirit. To be filled and baptized in his name. When you do this, you have in you and with you the greatest gift that keeps on giving. He is your comfort. His love is with you. He cares about you. His steadfast love is grace and mercy following you into every situation in every day.  Dear Bethel, I say to you, that the best is yet to come. God is good.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound OF Freedom-My Story

One Month

When Grief Rolls In