In Loving Memory of Lewis Amberg

 On Thursday's and Sunday's Lewis would make his way to the back pew to the far left of the church sanctuary. He sat faithfully in the same seat. My interactions with him were on Sundays before church started. I made it a point to say hello to him. At the beginning he would barely have eye contact with me. Over time, he would eventually look at me and give me a smile in return. He had a beautiful friendship with our beloved Sis. Vickie Davis. Even though she could no longer speak, they shared many text messages. She spoke truth to him out of a heart of love. That love opened his heart and God did a healing work in his life. A man who had lived a life filled with pain, rejection and anger and come to find peace that only God can truly give. I still remember his last Sunday at Bethel. This time, he was walking towards me. I gave him a big smile and greeted him by name. He looked me directly in the eyes and with this huge grin said to me, "God is good!". I gladly replied back that yes, God was indeed good. He was the happiest I have ever seen him be. Many Sundays, I would see him riding on his bike to church. I remember having so much respect for him, because rain or shine, Lewis Amberg was faithful to the House of God. It was on a Sunday as he was heading to church, that Lewis suffered a terrible accident that caused him to go into a coma. When I heard this news, I like many others from Bethel began to pray for him. I felt an urging in my spirit to visit with him in the hospital. They graciously allowed me to visit with him. Even though Lewis was not responsive, I knew that the spirit of God that was within him was strong. I told him how loved he was. I quoted passages from Psalm 91 to him and then I softly prayed and thanked God for a life that had been changed. I gave him a promise that I would share his testimony on my blog. As I prayed, the sweet presence of the Lord filled that hospital room. I stood in awed silence. God was there with Lewis in the hospital room. The next day, he passed from this life. He went from living on the streets to walking on streets of gold in his new Heavenly home. I would like to think in my mind's eye that Sis Vicky joyously greeted him and led him straight to the arms of Jesus, the one who loved him the most. Soon after Sis. Vicky passed from this life, Lewis made a video tribute to her. It's a beautiful story of the redeeming love of God. The changing of a heart. The saving of a life. I encourage you to watch it. It can be viewed here. You never know how powerful being kind to someone can be. Sharing the love of Jesus is the best witness you can ever have. Bro. Lewis Amberg's life was forever changed simply because the church, loved him. I am so thankful he found peace and a church home at Bethel. God is good.


Comments

  1. Hi Julia, I recently found this post and just wanted to leave a comment.
    Reflecting today on how far I had come this year, I was reminded of finding a video on hope posted by Lewis on his YouTube channel that I somehow found and stumbled across at what I can say is the lowest point in my life.
    Those words and sharings helped me so much and after seeing that he had not posted in a while I wanted to check up on him and give him my thanks and love again.

    Thank you so much for putting up this loving memorial post for him.
    All the way from the southern hemisphere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sound OF Freedom-My Story

One Month

When Grief Rolls In